Eating Ladybugs

Here is a fun healthy snack idea I got out of Ashlyn’s Highlights Magazines.  Here is how, you too, can make your own edible ladybug.

• Cut a red apple in half.
  • Have your child use a knife or spoon to put small amounts of peanut butter on the top of the apple.
  • Place raisins, chocolate chips, M&M’s, etc. on the dabs of peanut butter.
  • Then use a toothpick to attach a grape to the front of the apple for the ladybug’s head.
  • The magazine then says to use black licorice for the legs but I thought pretzel sticks could be fun too. (I didn’t have either when we made ours so we had a legless ladybug.

It was so easy to make and Ashlyn loved eating it.  This would be a great activity for playdates or your child’s preschool class.

ladybug

ladybug

6 Responses to “Eating Ladybugs”

1. Alice

I love that you put pictures with your posts..awesome. Keep up the good work. The ladybug thing is too cute! My poor child is allergic to peanut butter. I wonder if anything else would “stick”..Any ideas, regulars? :)

April 14th, 2008 at 1:00 am

2. Anne

All I could think of is carmel but it doesn’t really go with the healthy part of the snack. Hmmm… I’ll have to keep thinking.

April 14th, 2008 at 8:34 am

3. Amanda

Maybe almond butter if your child eats that. Or you could use marshmallow fluff or even honey. Not as healthy, and both are a little messy, but it would work.

April 22nd, 2008 at 7:42 pm

4. Amanda

Cream cheese or canned frosting would work, too. Can you believe that I’ve been thinking about this all evening…pathetic.

April 22nd, 2008 at 9:44 pm

5. Anne

Yes I can because I did too. Unfortunatly all I could think of was carmel.

April 22nd, 2008 at 10:08 pm

6. Alice

Awww…Thanks, Amanda! I appreciate you thinking up all these ideas…and Miss Anne, too! My little ladybug drew all over my kitchen table, his forehead, and his hands today…so it may be time to move on to a more structured craft project such as the ones found on this website..lol

April 23rd, 2008 at 12:24 am