I’m Back!

After 3 weeks away at a Young Life camp in North Georgia (I hope to post more on this later) and almost a week of being sick, I am finally back to posting on the blog.  I know my 4 readers missed me.

We spent the day taking the girls to the zoo, painting a bird feeder, and hanging out at home.  After dinner the girls wanted to play outside with their new polka dotted chalk.  It only took a couple of minutes before Emily was bored with the chalk so I made up a game to keep her interest.  I wrote a letter with the chalk and asked her what letter it was.  I continued this with several letters and we talked about what sounds each made.  Then I asked her to jump on a certain letter.  She loved it!  I would change it up and say, “Can you jump over the A?”  “Can you step on the R?”  We did this for about 15 minutes until Ashlyn wanted to play.

I thought letters weren’t challenging enough for her so I made a hopscotch board.  Instead of using numbers I wrote some of her sight words in the boxes.  She had to throw a stick and read the word it landed on, then hop to it.  I kept thinking of other things you could use.  Shapes, color words, numbers that aren’t in order, and sight words were some examples I thought of.  It was a fun way to spend the evening without them even realizing they were learning.

summer-2008-201.jpg

summer-2008-186.jpg

summer-2008-191.jpg

6 Responses to “I’m Back!”

1. Alice

Shew! I thought you were taking the summer off from the website! I was getting distressed over here with nothing to read..

July 19th, 2008 at 12:32 pm

2. Anne

Nope. Just been out of town, sick, and lazy. I will continue to post as long as people continue to read. :)

July 19th, 2008 at 2:29 pm

3. Ryan Roberts

Emily and I BOTH read the blog, so you have at least 3 readers including Alice. Keep it up, Anne! Glad you’re feeling better.

July 20th, 2008 at 10:59 pm

4. Carissa

Glad you’re back at it. Great idea on the game…I’m going to use that idea. When are we going to get together???

July 21st, 2008 at 11:42 pm

5. Luther Marmerchant

I want to mention a book by Michael Webb, a famous relationship expert. A good idea when dealing with a relationship problem is communication, as if we didn’ know that already. The tricky part is doing something about it. If you still have a chance at getting back, The quality of a relationship is a function of the extent to which it meets the needs of the two people involved. That means you have two jobs. You have to figure out what your needs are, and you have to teach them to your partner. And if you talk about those needs, and you recognize what

February 10th, 2010 at 1:07 am

6. Teaching Two » Active Spelling

[...] Spelling hopscotch is simple.  I write 10 words into a hopscotch board and then call out a word.  She jumps to that word and then spells it without looking.  When she was younger I used to do this with her sight words. [...]

February 1st, 2012 at 9:44 pm