Mouse Shapes Activity

This is an older post but my daughter loved doing it, so I thought I would share it with you all.

I love the book Mouse Paints so when I saw Mouse Shapes I knew I had to get it.  Emily loves working with shapes so I decided to do an activity with her from the book. It took a little longer to cut all the shapes the night before but I was watching The Bachelor (yes, I admit it) so I was fine.

I read the book to her and we talked about all the shapes on the pages.  Next I asked her to put the shapes I had cut out into groups.  Kids love to sort things at this age.  We started with the first page and made a house using a square and a triangle.  Next she made a tree using a triangle and a short rectangle.  She continued making the pictures by using the shapes that matched the pictures in the book.

Emily with book

She loved this book!

shapes

Concentrating on making her fish.

shapes2
These are some of the things she made using her shapes.

9 Responses to “Mouse Shapes Activity”

1. Chris

I love that there is a library barcode on the book. Free fun, and it only took you an hour to cut out all the shapes.

March 6th, 2009 at 8:35 am

2. Trish

This is adorable. I haven’t heard of this book before. This is why I love being able to read the ideas of so many teachers out there. Sometimes when you teach for so long, you go with the staples, but now I found a new avenue. Thank you.

March 6th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

3. Teaching Two » Works For Me Wednesday- Room Time

[...] play with her dolls, etc.  Some of her activities might include; a writing activity, puzzles, tanagrams, magnetic letters, sight word practice, [...]

March 11th, 2009 at 9:23 am

4. Almost Unschoolers

I’m booking marking this idea, I think the kids would really enjoy it.

January 14th, 2010 at 8:55 pm

5. Natalie

I was thinking about doing the same when we are reading this book, but I am so awfully lazy. Now I have to get the book back from the library and try again :)

January 15th, 2010 at 12:57 pm

6. Wonder Mom

Great art AND math activities- way to multitask! ;0)

January 15th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

7. Janelle

That’s a great way to introduce and talk about shapes. I’ll have to find a copy for my little guy.

January 16th, 2010 at 12:32 am

8. Michelle

This is such a great idea, I think Emily would like it too. I think I may try making the shapes out of foam so they will be nice and sturdy. I really want to get both of those books, I was so disappointed when my library didn’t have them. Now I have to wait for it to be ordered for me. Thank you for linking up to stART!!

January 17th, 2010 at 10:21 pm

9. Nicole (Mama to 3 Blessings)

What a cute book -I am going to see if my library has it. I am teaching my tot his shapes now. Great idea! :) Cute blog – 1st stopping by. :)

January 18th, 2010 at 4:09 pm