Works For Me Wednesday- Discovery Tables

I have always used Discovery Tables in my class but this week I decided to do them at home too.  If you don’t know what I am talking about, Discovery Tables are tables that you put different things in such as water, soil, bird seed, sand, etc. and other items for kids to explore with.  Here’s an example; today in class we were talking about eggs, so I put sand in my table and put Easter eggs in the sand.  Then I put different animals that hatch from eggs inside the eggs.

The other day while I was kind of cleaning out the garage I found a huge back of bird seed.  I decided to put it in a big tupperware container and put a funnel, shovel, mini rake, and a couple of cups with it.  I put it out in the backyard and when my 2 year old woke up from her nap I let her play with it.  She poured, scooped, measured, and dumped bird seed for an hour straight.  She loved it!  When she was finally finished I just swept it all in the grass and now we have had birds in our backyard all week.

Emily with bird seed

Today I put together another one, except this time I used water.  I filled two big popcorn bowls full and then put cups, a funnel, and a mixing spoon in one.  In the other bowl I put a little fishing game we have where you try to catch little fish with a pole.  (great for hand eye coordination)  Both my girls loved this activity as well.  I was able to sweep and pick weeds while they played together.  When they got bored with the cups I gave them different objects to put in the water to see if they would float or sink.  Once again they played outside for an hour.

Emily playing with water

Emily fishing

Ashlyn and Emily playing with water

Check out more Works For Me Wednesday ideas.

7 Responses to “Works For Me Wednesday- Discovery Tables”

1. Louise

Great idea. They look like they are having sooooo much fun!

March 25th, 2009 at 10:28 pm

2. Ashley

Those are great ideas! We have a sand/water table but I hadn’t thought about adding things like eggs and things that hatch from eggs!

This summer I want to fill a bucket with water and little things to freeze (okay, maybe a cool whip bowl since I would have a hard time packing a bucket of frozen water to begin with nor could I fit it in my tiny freezer!) and letting my daughter (who is also 2..er…almost) try to break it apart and get the toys (and use warm water to melt it, etc)

March 26th, 2009 at 9:16 am

3. Teaching Two » Kid Friendly Friday- Discovery Tables

[...] Comments ParentingPink on Wordless Wednesday – Dreamin’Ashley on Works For Me Wednesday- Discovery TablesLouise on Works For Me Wednesday- Discovery TablesAlice on Aloha Friday- Free TimeLoukia on Wordless [...]

March 26th, 2009 at 10:40 pm

4. Michie

Too funny – I’ve never posted in Works for Me Wednesday, but I almost did this week about using birdseed outside for a sensory activity. We did the same thing last week, except my daughter enjoyed filling a cup of it and just throwing it on the deck. We have ended up with squirrels and a groundhog eating from the buffet on our deck!

March 27th, 2009 at 5:05 pm

5. hadley

fun! I am thinking about doing some discovery tables as part of our workboxe that I blogged about yesterday. I will either do something simple in that box or put a piece of paper in the box to send her outside to the activity.

Thanks for some ideas of what to do with it!

March 27th, 2009 at 7:07 pm

6. retired beanie babies

Just stopping by to thank you for the wonderful read. It was really worth my time reading this content. Waiting for more wonderful posts soon! I added your feed in my reader!

November 4th, 2010 at 11:08 pm

7. math tutor bayridge

I do agree with all of the ideas you’ve introduced
    on your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work.
    Still, the posts are very brief for beginners. May you
    please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

December 21st, 2013 at 8:54 pm