Ashlyn has been sick for a couple of days now and I am going stir crazy having to stay in the house. So last night after the girls went to bed I decided to plan another themed day. They loved the camping day I did last summer so today is Ocean Day at our house. It doesn’t compare to the camping unit because I am 9 months pregnant and only thought of this at 9:00 at night. But I think it will be fun. Here is what they are doing:
- We started outside to beat the heat with a sink or float center. I gave them some items in a beach bucket to test. They had to predict before what it would do before putting it in. Then they had to record what happened by drawing a picture under sink or float.
- Next we headed back inside to do a little reading on the “beach”. I put a beach towel down with some chairs. I put a bucket of beach and ocean themed books in a bucket for them to choose from. Then I added sunglasses, pool toys, and hats to pretend with.
- After reading, the girls went to a pocket chart/word making center. I found a cute pocket chart rhyme and then put two white boards out and some letter tiles. They could read the rhyme and change what animal swam by them. Then the other person could either write it on the board (which they love to do) or spell the animal with the tiles. They took turns and stayed at this center longer than I thought they would.
- Movie Center- Ashlyn’s fever started to go up again so I let them watch Finding Nemo. As the movie went on her fever continued to climb so we will have to finish the rest of the activities another day. Here is what else I had planned.
- Discovery Table- I had a water table set up with lots of mermaids in it. They love playing with these in the bathtub.
- Math- Shell Sorting- I had tons of shells set up for them to sort through. They love looking at all the different shells and telling me how they are the same.
- Reading/Art-Then I was going to read them Mister Seahorse and have them paint a seahorse with sponges. Once they dried we were going to use q-tips to paint dots on him.
Hopefully my girl will feel better soon!
Check out some of the Ocean Themed posts at Along the Way, including 3 Ocean-themed weeks. There are lots of great pictures and lessons on the alphabet, shapes, counting, and art.
Go to Homeschool Creations to see more Preschool activities.