This is a fun game to help children learn their numbers and how to find them on a chart. Using a hundreds chart is a great activity to teach kids the different number patterns. It can also help in learning to count by 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s. Here is how you play.
- Print out the hundred board or the twenty board depending on the age and level of the child.
- Decide what you are going to have the child use to mark the number on the board. I’ve used M&M’s, raisins, Cherios, etc. Using something edible is more fun.
- Write different numbers on index cards and show them to the child one at a time. Have them say the number and then find it on the board. When they find it they can place a “marker” on that number.
- Repeat this as many times as you want. As the child continues to locate the numbers on the chart, they should begin to notice different patterns in how the chart is set up. ex. In this row all the numbers start with the number 4, or in this column all the numbers end in 7, and so on.
- When you have finished, have the child pick up one marker at a time and say the number again before he eats it.
Check out more Kid Friendly Friday posts.