Camping Day

We are going camping for the first time with the girls (and as a couple) in a week and the kids are so excited.  I thought I would have a camping day indoors first .  So today while they were resting I planned a whole day of fun activities for Friday.  I took these pictures the night before because I knew I wouldn’ t have time to blog about it tomorrow.  Below is a picture of everything I will need.  Here is what I have planned for them:

june-2009-032.jpg

june-2009-035.jpg

• After breakfast they will decorate two toilet paper rolls using bug stickers, markers, stamps, etc. to make binoculars.
  • rock painting- I found 4 awesome rocks that I “borrowed” from a distant neighbor. :)
  • creating sculptures using toothpicks and mini marshmallows
  • making numbers using playdoh (not really a camping activity but I found a sheet that had snakes on it)
  • bug hunting in the backyard using their binoculars and bug jars they made at Emily’s b-day party.
  • making their own “trail mix”- popcorn, peanuts, m&m’s, Cheerios
  • reading in their tent and sleeping bags
  • having an indoor picnic using our picnic basket
  • counting activities with fireflies that I found here

I will let you know how it goes and try to take pictures but I can’t promise anything.  I plan on tackling Emily’s dresser in between activities.

Check out more Friday Showcase crafts here and Kid Friendly Friday ideas here.

12 Responses to “Camping Day”

1. Crystal

This looks like a lot of fun. We are going camping for the first time next month-this looks like a great way to get ready. Thanks for sharing.

June 5th, 2009 at 12:01 am

2. Ryan Roberts

I have made trail mix with cherrios before and I have found that the cherrios (as well as other cereals other than granola) tend to get stale fairly easy, thus ruining perfectly good trail mix.

Other good trail mix ingredients:
    -Raisins and other dried fruit (raisins are usually just the cheapest)
    -any kind of chocolate chips (regular, white, butterscotch, peanut butter) as long as it is not going to be too hot, as they will melt (which isn’t completely horrible, just messier).
    -Other shelled candy, like Reece’s Pieces, or sometimes Skittles are good with the right combination of dried fruit.

June 5th, 2009 at 2:36 am

3. jennifer

My kids love camping indoors (me too). These are fun ideas. I did a similar project in my pre school class and the kids loved it. When I do it this next year I will be adding making your own trail mix.

Thanks as always for your great ideas.

June 5th, 2009 at 7:46 am

4. sarah

Wow! I am impressed. I will have to use the entire plan when we get back in July.

June 5th, 2009 at 8:29 am

5. sharon

Our kids beg all the time to camp indoors! It’s getting a bit hot for camping in Florida but how fun is it?!

June 5th, 2009 at 9:06 am

6. Ame

You are so creative! Ashlyn was so excited about camping indoors – do they get to take naps in their sleeping bags?
    By the way, I’m assuming when you say you “borrowed” rocks you actually stole them :)

June 5th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

7. sherry

what a unique and creative idea… I love it, I will put this on my to do list!!

June 5th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

8. Anne

Thanks Sherry. We had so much fun doing all the activities. Make sure to check out the pictures I just added from our day.

June 5th, 2009 at 3:59 pm

9. Teaching Two » Pictures from Camping Day

[...] Camping Day [...]

June 5th, 2009 at 9:41 pm

10. Katie

This looks like a ton of fun, and the ONLY way I’d want to go camping…in a cute pink tent, indoors! My parents were camping enthusiasts so I got plenty of that growing up and I’ve had enough for a life time.

June 6th, 2009 at 12:55 am

11. Teaching Two » Water Day!

[...] Comments Teaching Two » Camping Day on Pictures from Camping DayTicia on Painting with a TwistBecca on Aloha FridayAudrey on Aloha [...]

August 10th, 2009 at 9:34 pm

12. Nicholas King

i have two binoculars at home and both of them are Bushnell brand, it is a really good brand~.~

August 12th, 2010 at 3:20 am