Dr. Seuss Day

Today we had a great day filled with Dr. Seuss activities.  We started off the day by reading The Cat in the Hat.  Then we made our own Cat in the Hat

• The kids painted the back of a paper plate black.
  • While those were drying, we worked on the hats.  They used red construction paper to make a pattern of red and white.
  • On tag board white paper I cut out circles to use as the cat’s face.  They used googly eyes, pom poms for the nose, and pipe cleaners for the whiskers to make the face.  They glued that to the paper plate.
  • I stapled the hat to the paper plate and then the kids added triangle ears.

february-2010-018.jpg

february-2010-019.jpg

After our craft was finished we had some fun Dr. Seuss centers.  The discovery table was filled with little Cat in the Hat toys that they loved playing with after hearing the story.

february-2010-012.jpg

We also worked on patterning using these great styrofoam red and white circles that my friend let me borrow.  The kids had to stack them up using a pattern as high as they could.  They loved this!

february-2010-015.jpg

We ended the day by reading Green Eggs and Ham.  I couldn’t read that book without making some green eggs and ham.  Almost of my class tried them and loved them.   My daughter Emily ate two plates full and then asked her Daddy if he could make her some for breakfast on Saturday.  It was a fun day!

Check out more fun craft ideas here and here.

22 Responses to “Dr. Seuss Day”

1. Wonder Mom

One cat in a hat + Two cutie pie kiddos + 100 red and whit Styrofoam circles = A spectacular day of learning!

February 4th, 2010 at 5:06 pm

2. MamaGames

What a fun day! We did Dr. Seuss this week too… I’m wondering, where did you find the tiny toys for your sensory bin?

February 5th, 2010 at 10:38 am

3. Janelle

Love those paper plate cat in the hat crafts! Never thought of using the book to teach patterns.

February 5th, 2010 at 10:52 am

4. Janelle

Should write good post! Can’t wait to reading your next post!

February 5th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

5. jennifer

Fun Cat and the Hat projects.

February 5th, 2010 at 3:25 pm

6. Almost Unschoolers

It looks like an excellent day! But, I do not like green eggs and ham :)

February 6th, 2010 at 12:41 pm

7. Michelle

What a great project, your Cat in the Hat came out so cute!
    Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

February 6th, 2010 at 8:45 pm

8. Rebecca

Wow- cool activities!!

February 6th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

9. Nicole (Mama to 3 Blessings)

Oh my goodness how cute! Wow – you are so creative! What a cute blog! I am signing up to follow you – you are so inspiring! :)

February 8th, 2010 at 8:04 am

10. Nicole (Mama to 3 Blessings)

oh, just noticed you do not have a follow button, do you have twitter? I would love to follow you!

February 8th, 2010 at 8:06 am

11. Natalie

I love you Cat in the Hat and all the activities. Nice reinforcement of patterns with blocks and paper too.

February 8th, 2010 at 6:35 pm

12. leah

that’s a handsome kid there helping make that pattern!

Also love your idea for talking about what love is.

February 20th, 2010 at 11:50 am

13. Lorene

Love those red and white circles. I think I will cover my cardboard blocks with red and white wrapping paper to mimic this great idea.

February 27th, 2011 at 1:42 am

14. Nancy Jang

Hi there!
    I loved your Cat in the Hat craft! I’m putting your picture of the craft and your button on my blog. Please check it out!
    Feel free to link my blog to yours!
    Thanks.
    Nancy

February 27th, 2011 at 9:29 pm

15. cheryl golangco

I love how they piled up those white and red styrofoam to make patterns! Thanks for sharing!

February 27th, 2011 at 10:07 pm

16. Dr. Seuss Week | Three Little Monkeys

[...] teachingtwo.com via Patti on [...]

November 29th, 2012 at 3:54 am

17. The Cat in the Hat | Kindergarten Lesson Plans

[...] slower pace, we think your kinders will have a blast with this stacking activity from Anne over at Teaching Two. Along with building counting skills, you can throw some simple patterning exercises in the mix too [...]

February 20th, 2013 at 5:03 am

18. Info

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A number of my blog readers have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any tips to help fix this issue?

July 25th, 2013 at 5:49 pm

19. chase your dreams unicorn

Superb blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a
    paid option? There are so many choices out there
    that I’m totally confused .. Any tips? Cheers!

August 2nd, 2013 at 3:36 pm

20. Shalanda

A domain name is as good as an identity for any organization
    or brand on the web. The first true search engine as we know it today came in 1994 and was called Web – Crawler.
    This package is also popular with businesses
    who want fibre optic broadband it suits anyone, but whether you
    have the money to pay for it is another matter entirely.

November 8th, 2013 at 5:47 am

21. vans pas cher femme

Souvent sur des rcits crits aussi par Andr Delmont, paraissent au moins sept livres ou albums, de Nounours parachutiste 1966 No xboter 2014

June 19th, 2014 at 4:45 am

22. Z is for Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz: A Collection of Dr. Seuss Themed Fun{Over 100 FREE Printables and Tutorials} | To the Moon and Back

[...] craft by Getting Messy with Ms. JessiCat in the Hat Dot Marker Pages by H is for Homeschooling Cat in the Hat craft and Patterning Activity by Teaching TwoCat in the Hat Paper Plate Hats by I Can Teach My Child Cat in the Hat Dart Game on [...]

July 19th, 2014 at 5:36 pm